Behavior Management Program
This program is highly recommended if your child has been diagnosed with AD/HD and/or Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD); it can also be helpful even if your child has not been diagnosed. As a rule of thumb, if you feel that you’ve run up against a brick wall when trying to reduce the amount of time your child misbehaves, then you may be appropriate for this program.
The Child Development Clinic offers an eight-week program, which teaches parents the most effective and efficient strategies to improve the behavior of their child in order to help both the parents and the child.
A one hour assessment appointment can be scheduled with the clinical psychologist to determine if this program can help you. One goal of the program is to reduce the level of your child’s misbehavior. However, an equally important goal is to accomplish this in a manner that enhances your relationship with your child while improving self-esteem and reducing stress levels for both you and your child. The program involves meeting privately with a therapist once a week for eight sessions.
In the Sessions You Will:
- Be trained in the most effective strategies to improve the behavior of your child
- Be given homework in which you put these new skills to use in your home
- Discuss your experience with these new skills before new material is covered
Topics included in the Program:
- Why children misbehave
- How to decide if your child’s misbehavior is excessive
- How to use your positive attention to improve your child’s misbehavior
- How to teach your child to be more compliant
- How to use positive reinforcement effectively
- How to develop and maintain an effective home reward system
- How to effectively use time out, ignoring and punishment
- How to communicate and problem-solve with your child
- How your health and well-being affect your child
- How to anticipate and derail future misbehavior