KCH Safe Sitter program helps teen save sister's life
June 8, 2006
Arianna knew how to save her little sister Lilly from choking because of what she learned at the KCH Safe Sitter class.
Arianna Vassallo used the knowledge and skills she gained at the Kishwaukee Community Hospital’s Safe Sitter class to rescue her little sister when she was choking.
Ariana was with her mom and her sister at a local video store when the incident occurred. Three year old Lilly was eating a piece of chocolate that got lodged in her throat. The girls’ mom, Meagan Gordon, realized that something was wrong with little Lilly when she became silent and had a panicked look on her face. Not having been trained in choking rescue, Meagan turned to her 13 year old daughter Arianna to save little Lilly. Arianna performed the Heimlich Maneuver to dislodge the piece of candy stuck in Lilly’s throat. The piece of candy flew across the room and Lilly began to cry.
A relieved mother, Meagan was thankful that her daughter had been trained in choking rescue at a Safe Sitter course offered by Kishwaukee Community Hospital. At the class, students learn the basics of caring for children, choking rescue, and how to handle emergency situations. Safe Sitter graduates are better equipped to handle the emergencies that can arise while caring for young children. For more information about the Safe Sitter class, or any of the educational programs offered at KCH, call 815.756.1521 x4000 or visit www.kishhospital.org.